National Center on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare Training
The National Center on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare (NCSACW) has created free tutorials designed for child welfare professionals to learn about substance use disorders, substance abuse treatment, and how to help families recover from addiction.
1. To participate in this online training, click on the following link: https://www.ncsacw.samhsa.gov/training/default.aspx
2. This link will open the “Training and Tutorials” page. Click the purple box on the right hand side of the screen that says “SIGN UP NOW.”
3. You will be asked to enter your email address and under Course Registration, select “Tutorial 2: Understanding Substance Use Disorders, Treatment, and Family Recovery: A guide for Child Welfare Professionals”
4. When you submit your information, an Access Key will be sent to the email you provided. Return to the original “Training and Tutorials” page use the access key to sign in. You will need the access key every time you sign in.
5. When you reach the main Tutorials page, click to Start Tutorial 2.
The tutorial consists of an overview, five modules, an assessment, resources, and your personalized certificate, and is approved by NASW for 4.5 CEUs . The five modules are:
· Module 1: Primer on Substance Use Disorders for Child Welfare Professionals
· Module 2: Engaging Families in Substance Abuse Treatment
· Module 3: Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Recovery
· Module 4: Special Consideration for Children Whose Parents Have Substance Use Disorders
· Module 5: Partnering Strategies in Service to Child Welfare Families Affected by Substance Use Disorders
The training does not need to be completed in one setting, just keep your access key to log in and pick up where you left off. Only after you complete all parts of each of the five modules will you be able to complete the assessment and receive your certificate of completion.
When you complete the assessment with a passing score, a line of text will pop up on your screen. Within the line of text will be the link to receive your certificate of completion. When you click this link the system will ask you to “enter the name you’d like to appear on the certificate.”
When your certificate of completion loads you will see a “print certificate” button. When you select this button a pdf copy of your certificate will automatically download to your computer. Please print a copy of this certificate for your records. If you are a DCFS employee, you must also email the certificate to DCFS.Training@LA.GOV to receive credit.