Title IV-E Stipend Program
What is the child welfare stipend program?
The Title IV-E program provides stipends for graduate and undergraduates students enrolled in one of the seven participating Louisiana University social work programs. The purpose of the Title IV-E Child Welfare Stipend Program is to ensure the preparation of future graduates for competent practice in the field of Child Welfare by:
- Recruiting, educating, and preparing Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) and Master of Social Work (MSW) students for public child welfare practice.
- Promoting a collaboration between Louisiana Schools or Departments of Social Work through the University Alliance and the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), Louisiana Child Welfare Training Academy (LCWTA).
Who is eligible to apply?
Students at one of the seven participating Louisiana University social work programs may apply for the Title IV-E Stipend prior to their senior year of undergraduate studies or their last year of graduate school. Selections are made from students interested in employment in Child Welfare and who have a commitment to working for the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) following graduation. Current DCFS employees who are enrolled in one of the seven universities may apply for the stipend.
Students selected for the program complete regular BSW and MSW curriculums, including completion of child welfare courses and related field placements. They also participate in child welfare seminars, conferences, and in-service trainings. Following graduation the student agrees to work for DCFS in a local Child Welfare Office.
How can I learn more or apply for a stipend?
To learn more about the Title IV-E Child Welfare Stipend or to apply to be a Child Welfare Stipend Recipient, please contact your University Title IV-E Coordinator.
The following are the seven Schools of Social Worker that offer the Title IV-E Stipends:
- Grambling State University (GSU)
- Louisiana State University (LSU)
- Northwestern State University (NSU)
- Southern University Baton Rouge (SUBR)
- Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO)
- Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU)
- University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM)