A Journey Home Session 1
8 hours total
About the course
Department of Children and Family Services
The purpose of “A Journey Home” is to prepare potential foster parents for opening their home and providing a safe place for Louisiana’s children. The five sessions will help participants understand how to make informed decisions about fostering/adopting as well as navigating the foster care system. Participants will also learn how important their role is as a member of the Department of Children and Family Services professional foster care team.
In this first session, participants will be introduced to DCFS’s Mission, Vision, and Safety Focused Practice. Participants will learn about Louisiana’s court process. Requirements and deal breakers are also presented in this session.
1. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the DCFS Safety Focused Practice and how it relates to your role as a foster parent.
2. Explain DCFS’ mission and vision and how your role as a foster parent fits into the foster care system.
3. Identify the Louisiana’s court process and the key partners in the foster care system.
4. Articulate any attributes or issues that children may have that you not be able to accept in your home.
5. Identify any issues you may have that would make you ineligible for foster parenting.
6. Explain how the mutual selection process works during the foster parent training and certification process.
steps to enroll
First log-in to the LCWTA LMS below. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Once you have logged in, click the link for your classification below to enroll and begin the training. If you do not see your classification then the course is not available to you at this time.