A Journey Home Session 6
8 hours total
About the course
The purpose of “A Journey Home” is to prepare potential foster parents for opening their home and providing a safe place for Louisiana’s children. The five sessions will help participants understand how to make informed decisions about fostering/adopting as well as navigating the foster care system. Participants will also learn how important their role is as a member of the Department of Children and Family Services professional foster care team.
Session six focuses on the impact and effects that substance and sexual abuse have on children.
1. Define sexual abuse and identify the signs of sexual abuse.
2. Identify the broad range of sexual behaviors children exhibit as a normal part of development and determine which behaviors are cause for concern.
3. Determine how the factors that affect the impact of abuse and the phases of sexual abuse can shape a child's behavior.
4. Determine how to establish guidelines for safety and privacy in your family.
5. Determine when and identify how to seek additional support from the team when needed.
6. Determine what to do if and when a child discloses experiences and possible abuse to you.
7. Apply effective techniques and resources for managing sexual behaviors while providing support for the child in healing and recovery.
8. Determine the difference between substance abuse and dependency and the effects on children.
9. Explain the different types of drugs; their effects and the effect on parenting.
10. Explain your role as a foster parent when working with a birth parent who is abusing substances.