A Journey Home Session 7
8 hours total
About the course
The purpose of “A Journey Home” is to prepare potential foster parents for opening their home and providing a safe place for Louisiana’s children. The five sessions will help participants understand how to make informed decisions about fostering/adopting as well as navigating the foster care system. Participants will also learn how important their role is as a member of the Department of Children and Family Services professional foster care team.
Session 7 focuses on transitions. This includes types of transitions, disruptions that may take place and helping your family and foster youth through attachment and loss.
1. Explore your feelings about your personal transition out of the training program and into the role of the foster parent
2. Identify the feelings a child may experience during transitions and determine how to help the child managethese feelings in order to achieve a successful transition
3. Identify the feelings you and your family may experience during transitions of a foster child into and out of your home and determine how you may manage these feelings in order to achieve a successful transition.
4. Identify the types of transitions a child in the foster care system may experience on his/her personal journey toward permanence
5. Utilize an eco-map to identify connections and analyze support systems that can help through the transition process.
6. Apply what you have learned about the foster care process as you welcome a new child into your home,
steps to enroll
First log-in to the LCWTA LMS below. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Once you have logged in, click the link for your classification below to enroll and begin the training. If you do not see your classification then the course is not available to you at this time.