Splash into Safety - Water Safety Workshop
DCFS CW Professional
About the course
Crystal Pichon, MNPA
The sole purpose of this training is to educate caregivers about water safety measures, to reduce the incidence of water related injury and death. Children of all ages, adults, and especially caregivers can practice the basic water safety measures outlined in this training to reduce the chances of a tragedy around water. Crystal Pichon, CEO of The Safety Place, reviews Louisiana laws and Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) policies pertaining to water safety and identifies the multiple layers of safety to utilize while in or around water. Note: this training is not a substitute for hands-on swim lessons, safety practices, active supervision and the use of personal flotation devices.
1. Recognize Louisiana Laws and DCFS policies pertaining to water safety including pool barriers, boating, and others.
2. Identify and give examples of the possible 10 layers of safety to ensure the safest water environment.
3. Understand the differences between Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and non-life saving flotation devices.
4. Identify the five types of Coast Guard approved PFDs and recall when to use each type.
5. Outline how to properly fit a personal flotation device (PFD).
6. Explain what to look for in swim lessons and the difference between survival vs. traditional swim lessons.
7. List additional safety measures and best practices.
steps to enroll
First log-in to the LCWTA LMS below. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Once you have logged in, click the link for your classification below to enroll and begin the training. If you do not see your classification then the course is not available to you at this time.